Friday, January 27, 2012

Courage

Upon being admitted to the CVICU, we were given a long string with beads spelling Everett's name. The nurses introduced us to the beads of courage program which is designed to honor the challenging journey kids take while receiving care for cardiac conditions. Each time Evie had a procedure done, was poked or scanned, stayed over in the hospital, had an infusion, etc. he was given another bead to add to his string. I don't think we remembered to get every bead we should have (and UCD didn't have this program, so his first surgery is not included on the string), but we did always try to remember to get the beads that he had earned. I think someday he will think this is really cool, and it will definitely make an awesome show-and-tell item. He will be able to show everyone his badge (eh hem, string) of courage!


In Evie's short life he has taught me so much about how to act with courage. Webster describes courage as "the ability to do something that you know is difficult or dangerous," and Everett has done that, always with a smile on his face and a peaceful, happy, calming nature. He has had health issues, he has had surgeries, he has been poked and prodded more than I have in my whole life, and yet he handles it with grace. When I am facing a hardship or trial in my life, I hope I can have the same sweet courage that my son has shown. He is my little hero, that's for sure.

When the doctor first took the long white bandage off of Everett's chest I started to cry. Here was my perfect, innocent, beautiful baby with a long, red scar down his chest. The doctor kept commenting on how beautiful it looked, but I didn't say a word. I just cried. I was shocked by my emotion, and to be honest I was shocked by the scar. But the more I look at it, the more beautiful it becomes to me. That scar is beautiful because it represents a life still being lived. That scar is beautiful because it represents a heart that is still beating...and in fact beating much better than it ever has. That scar is beautiful because it is on my perfect, innocent, beautiful baby boy and is now very much a part of his story. I hope that Everett is always grateful for that long, red scar down his chest. I know I am.

8 comments:

  1. I am amazed by this little boy. Through every hardship, he has a sweet smile on his face. What an amazing ability! But you know what, he gets it from his mom. You are also an amazing example of courage and a great example for me. We miss you terribly and have you in our daily prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this post, Heather. We are so impressed by your courage and optimism. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. That scar will fade over time, but will always be a reminder to Everett that he is nothing short of a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, anything that is on this baby automatically becomes beautiful! The story that created that scar has a happy ending! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to stop reading your blog before I go somewhere because I just cry! :) Bailey has always been my kid that keeps me going whenever I think about his struggles and how he pushes through. Such a blessing to have those kids in a family. Next time, please put a warning on your title so I will know to wait to read it until I can have a good cry:) Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about warning Oram house...I KNOW I am going to cry every time I come here xxx To see your little boy smiling like that just melts my heart he is adorable xx His beads made me cry seeing so many of them and learning that he should have even more than those shown here, makes me think of every little (and not so little) ouch this dear little boy went through to earn his beads of courage, yes I agree he is a hero! I would add not only Everett's heart was affected by this surgery every bead earned must have been a hit to his mommy and daddy's hearts too love you all xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brought your blog to seminary this morning, proudly showed all the teachers and all my students this sweet little baby. He won everyone over - from the second they saw him! A lady at church commented and said, "Everett is going to have a lot of friends in his life!" I couldn't agree more - what a love!

    ReplyDelete