Monday, January 30, 2012

Seven.

Everett has been in our lives now for seven months. A part of me feels like it's been a whole lot longer--two heart surgeries and a lot of worry will do that to you. The other part of me still thinks of him as my newborn. Yes, I know he's now closer to one than zero, but I can't help it. He's so much smaller than T was as a baby (he weighs the same now as Talmage did at 4 months old) and I forget that in actuality he is growing older with each passing day. He is very much still my baby--he likes to cuddle, he prefers mama's milk to baby food anyday, he doesn't sit up or scoot and he sometimes (but rarely) rolls over. But at the same time, we have seen a new spunky side of Everett lately that is both shocking and endearing. Just a word to the wise, if he's playing with a raddle, please DO NOT touch it. You've been warned!


He's eating a little bit more baby food lately and he is kind of, sort of, sometimes liking it. He eats rice cereal, and has tried applesauce, sweet potatoes, peas, green beans and prunes (we were trying to help with his constipation after leaving the hospital). He sucks his thumb in between every single bite and he is an absolute mess after every meal. We're hoping that a little extra food will help him pack on the pounds, especially considering his vocal cord injury and subsequent nursing issues. Although for weight gain to happen he would have to get more mush in his mouth and less mush on his clothes--we'll keep working on it.



The last few days have been really rough for Everett. I wish I knew what was wrong. He spends a good portion of his days, and an even larger portion of his nights crying and moaning. Does his chest hurt? Or maybe it's just itchy and bothering him. Is he cutting teeth? He has two already so I'm sure more are on their way. Does his stomach hurt? Is he feeling warm? Is there an infection that I should be aware of? I wish I could ask him and I wish he could answer. It's probably just normal seven-month-old behavior, but my seven-month-old just had open heart surgery, which makes nothing normal to me. In the meantime, we are working on being patient with each other and doing our best. We spent most of today outside, and it seems like the crisp California air mixed with the madness of lots of kids at play kept him entertained and distracted him from his pain. I think it was a lovely seven month birthday afterall!

2 comments:

  1. Happy 7 months Evie! We love you and you truly are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's looking older too! Happy sevenmonthday! :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete