Thursday, June 11, 2015

Obliteration Room

I'm antsy, antsy for school to finally be out for the summer so my adventure-loving buddy can play with us again. Talmage loves an adventure like Everett loves bacon; enough said, right? Last week he had a random Thursday off of school so we set out with some friends to the David Zwirner Gallery in Chelsea to see a new art exhibit by Yayoi Kusama called "The Obliteration Room." That boy loved it so much and Ever, Quinn and I loved having him along!

The lines at this gallery can sometimes wrap around the building so we arrived early and were the first people in line. Our kids were kinda crazy-town waiting to get in, but less so than if we would have had to wait in a two hour line!

What looks like a run-of-the-mill mobile home on the outside...

...looked a little something like this on the inside!  Stickers, stickers, everywhere and not even a Trader Joe's visit to blame! This house was filled with furniture, appliances, books and walls that were brilliantly white (at least they were) and we all got a sheet of colorful stickers to add to the madness, I mean, art. I don't think we brought enough kids, do you?

Quinner was a superstar adventurer, which is her MO. She sat in her stroller, posed for pictures, and I think she actually liked all the colors in that room.

When I picked her up her cute little bum was covered with stickers. A friend snapped a picture as another friend helped peel off the stickers and it takes a village, doesn't it?

T thought this was just about the best exhibit that ever existed. One time Talmage put his Trader Joe's stickers all over his bunk bed and I made him peel them all off and then scrub the wood with soapy water until all the sticky residue was gone. Someday when he's a famous artist creating sticker exhibits like Kusama I hope he doesn't hold it against me!

Outside of the house they had all of these pumpkins with bright cheerful polka dots! After a totally hands-on exhibit in the house this was totally hands-off and completely miserable for my little boys who wanted to use the statues as jungle gyms. In and out, that's how we rolled.

We ended up in Madison Square Park having Shake Shack for lunch and playing with friends. Those two brothers, sharing shakes for almost four years! {And PS--I love their hair colors! How fun to have a blondie and a brunette!}

Now let's talk business. James was out of town this week which meant that one of my children had to get really sick. This time, just like last time, Quinn took one for the team. I tried to blame her grumpiness and warmth on teething during our adventure, but after coming home things went from bad to worse and her fever went from warm to HOT. When it was coming close to 105 I called my doctor who asked me to bring her in right away. I expected that she might have an ear infection or something minor but no, she had pneumonia in both lungs. I was shocked and felt horrible and thus started a few miserable days of no sleep and a very, very sick baby. Luckily she's better now, but look at those sicky eyes and pink cheeks! Poor baby girl.
Dear James, You're never allowed to leave again. Love, Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment