Sunday, September 4, 2016

The First Day of School: Kinder and 2nd Grade

Ever Knight would not go to Pre-K without a fight. Ever Knight through a tantrum of epic proportions when I took him to check out the Kindergarten classrooms last year at T's Open House. Ever Knight kept telling me all summer long, "Actuawy Mom, I am not going to Kindergarten." With some kids you could just laugh that statement off, but Ever Knight is not afraid to make a scene and shows no mercy. I knew he would "actuawy" go to Kindergarten because like it or not I am still the boss, but I knew it could get really ugly. And yes, I was scared!

With exceptionally high maternal anxiety I woke up on the morning of the first day of school to two little boyfriends who were more excited than I could have imagined to meet their teachers, make new friends and learn interesting and exciting things. I kept waiting for Ever's grand protest, but the little boys walked hand in hand to school, hugged us at the door, smiled as they walked into their respective classes, and never looked back. I chalked it up to being first day enthusiasm and figured it would fade, but we're going on week three now and both of them are rockstars. Hallelujah! And maybe a little sad that they were so anxious to get away? But mostly hallelujah!

At the dinner table after the first day of school we were debriefing on all of the minuscule details of their days and I nonchalantly asked if they had seen each other at school (but didn't think they would have because they don't share play yards, recess times, or anything else!) T got really excited and said, "YES! When I was walking to library and he was walking to the Kinder-yard for recess I saw his class and I ran really fast, gave him a big hug, and then ran back to my classes line. It was so cool!" Ever Knight was beaming and said, "Yah, I tode evewyone dat he is my big bwutho." Talk about a heart-melting mama moment. I've asked myself a million times why the transition this year has been so much smoother for our baby brother than it was last year, and I think I've finally realized that the answer is with T. Those boys are so lucky to have each other and I'm so glad they're at the same school and can sneak in some mid-day loves. Here's to another successful year at school! 




1 comment: