Sunday, March 26, 2017

.Q.U.I.N.N.

Quinn is an absolute FORCE to be reckoned with. For a few weeks (or maybe months) at the beginning of this year I thought I may suffocate in her stubbornness, but things have calmed down, at least a little, and I am catching my breath and remembering all the reasons why I love her to pieces. Last night at General Women's Conference Elder Eyring shared a story about raising a spirited child and it was if he was telling me, "Heather, that Quinn of yours is fantastic now and you can't even imagine how fabulous she'll be in the future--see her that way and love her that way." So this week, that's my goal. To see that crazy two-year-old and her three siblings how He sees them, as wonderful Celestial children.

"I remember once a seven- or eight-year-old son of ours jumping on his bed hard enough that I thought the bed might break. I felt a flash of frustration, and I moved quickly to set my house in order. I grabbed my son by his little shoulders and lifted him up to where our eyes met.
"The Spirit put words into my mind. It seemed a quiet voice, but it pierced to my heart. It was: 'You are holding a great person.' I gently set him back on the bed and apologized.
"Now he has become the great man the Holy Ghost let me see 40 years ago. I am eternally grateful that the Lord rescued me from my unkind feelings by sending the Holy Ghost to let me see a child of God as He saw him.
"The unity we seek in our families and in the Church will come as we allow the Holy Ghost to affect what we see when we look at one another—and even when we think of each other. The Spirit sees with the pure love of Christ." --Henry B. Eyring

For weeks we were battling naps and bedtime and as hard as I fought, I was losing the darn battle. One afternoon Quinn randomly asked if she could read books in my bed with her blanky. This was something I had offered to her a dozen times (we are big advocates for Quiet Time over here when kids don't want to nap) but until it was HER idea it was a horrible one! You should have seen the shock on my face when I walked into my bedroom to find her hiding behind the book, fast asleep. Ever since that day she has taken a "Quiet Reading Time" and 90% of the time she falls asleep and I can't tell you what a difference it's made in her mood and attitude (and mine!) I'm so glad my true Quinny is back.

Bedtime selfies! We finally have a routine and she's going to bed like a champ. We read a book, usually Little Blue Truck or Pinkabella; sing a song, her favorites are I like to look for rainbows and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star; and then say a prayer. We give tight hugs, kisses in all their varieties (regular, butterfly, bear and cheetah) and then I leave the room and usually she'll just go right to sleep. She likes the routine and I like the outcome so it's a win-win!

I still find about 20 pictures like this on my phone a day. That girl can work a Samsung like no other kid I know!

"Grandpa" Christofferson was not actually at playgroup for Quinny, but don't tell her that! She followed him around all morning, sitting on his lap and by his side and soaking up his greatness!

She is still a total daddy's girl and he lives for his girl. I love that when this Wild Kratt Cheetah asked to brush his hair he immediately sat on the ground and let her go for it.

Park Day was rained out a few weeks back so we did what any responsible group of moms would do and brought a million children to McDonalds. They were thrilled and we got to sit around and talk so I'd call it a success. Quinny has the greatest group of friends. I honestly don't know what we're going to do when they all go to preschool in the fall (we miss the cut-off by a few weeks!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment