Wednesday, March 22, 2017

T's Baptism

On March 11, 2009 I delivered a baby with horrific birth-related brain trauma and as he was whisked away to the NICU for tests and tubes I was told that if he survived the night there would be a laundry list of mental and physical limitations that would live with him. Sitting in my shock and grief, I wondered what life would be like for this helpless little creature who had been so violently forced into the world. After a few hours, James returned to my bedside and without a doubt in the world said, "Heather, don't worry about Talmage. He is going to be just fine." At just a few minutes old, the NICU doctor assisted James in giving Talmage his first priesthood blessing while the nurses prepped him for a CT scan. In the blessing T was promised that he would make a full recovery and that he would gain a keen intellect that would bless the lives of Heavenly Father's children. The recovery was long, exhausting and sometimes bumpy, but it was incredibly complete, and I think T's neurologist explained it best when he said, "Medical science cannot explain what has happened with your son. I don't know what you believe, but there is a greater power looking over this child." There is indeed a greater power looking over Talmage Scott, and he is every bit of proof I'll ever need that miracles still exist.

On March 11, 2017 I sent my baby all dressed in white into the water to meet his Daddy, who baptized him a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His smile couldn't have been bigger, his countenance brighter, and the love in that room filled by family and friends couldn't have been deeper. Over the years I've thought back on that blessing he received so very long ago, but never more than this month when I realized that those special promises made by Heavenly Father are quickly coming to pass. That keen intellect and earnest testimony of our Talmage-boy sure do bless our family and his friends, and I have a feeling that we're just seeing the beginning of the ways he will love and serve the world. We're so proud of you T, thank you for being our first baby friend!



No comments:

Post a Comment